In 1921, Sand-Knit was founded by John Sand in Chicago, Illinois.
Throughout the 1930s, Sand-Knit was a leading manufacturer of custom athletic uniforms, award sweaters and jackets.
From the 1940s to the 1950s, sales and distribution were accomplished thru nationwide team athletic dealers.
early to mid 1940s
mid to late 1940s
Sand-Knit operated in Chicago until 1953 when John Sand re-located the business to Berlin, Wisconsin.
Mid to late 1950s
mid to late 1960s with adjacent distributor tags
late 1960s (transition)
early to mid 1970s
mid to late 1970s
Tagging with "medalist" printed in white with black outline was first seen in 1979. It can be seen in use into the mid 1980s.
early to mid 1980s
In 1984, MacGregor takes over ownership of Sand-Knit. This "MacGregor" Sand-Knit tag was seen on products in 1985, 1986 and early 1987.
The Sand-Knit MacGregor "crown" tag was first seen in late 1987. It was seen on products in 1987, 1988 and 1989.
*Be aware that most college and professional teams recycled jerseys and used "carry-overs" from season to season.